In many ways, the harnessing of electricity is the single most monumental achievement humans have accomplished thus far. By harnessing it, we completely reshaped humanity; without it, just about all of us are lost. That said, electricity can also cause problems, particularly in homes. If you are experiencing any of the following issues, contact an electrician in Orlando, FL, today.
Anything that runs on electricity has odors that are odd, especially the first few times you use them. In most cases, the odors are harmless and stop. If they do not or if you have appliances or equipment that start to emit an odor or burning smell, discontinue using it and call for service. If the odor is coming from an outlet, disconnect everything that uses that outlet and contact an electrical service company in Orlando, FL, as soon as you can.
These issues with outlets are a sure sign you need to contact a residential or commercial electrician as soon as you can. If your outlets feel warm or hot to the touch or are sparking, it is likely that you have a very real fire hazard lurking behind the outlet plate. You also should shut down all power to your home until you can get it checked out. If the wall plate does not cool or gets warmer after the power is off, contact your local fire department.
Any of the above sounds coming from outlets or light switches is a bad sign. The same applies to any fixtures. What it means is that you likely have a short that is a fire hazard and a source of possible electrocution. If you hear buzzing, crackling, popping, or a snapping sound, unplug or turn the switch off and contact your local electrical service company quickly, especially if the sounds are present when nothing is turned on or plugged in. If the latter is true, turn your power off for that area of your house until you can get it checked out.
Lights that flicker are not necessarily a sign of an electrical problem. It could be a power consistency issue or an external power issue such as a tree branch brushing up on an electrical wire. However, it could also be a power surge. If that is the case, the chances are very good your electrical components are taxing your electrical system, running the risk of overload. Overloads can burn out appliances and electrical fixtures, and, in some cases, pose a fire hazard. Contact an electrical contractor if you experience consistent surges to make sure your appliances and electronics stay in good working order.
Switches or outlets that work erratically can be a sign of loose wiring, which is both a short and fire hazard. Loose outlets also can cause an electrical shock for those who touch it. Any outlet or switch that is exposed is potentially a shock or fire hazard. Having an electrician fix any broken or loose outlets or switches is extremely important.
There are some things around your home that, when they start to show signs of wearing down or malfunctioning, you can put off addressing. Electrical problems are not one of them. If you have any of the warning signs of an electrical issue, contact In Phase Electric Inc, (407) 599-7777.